Sweetwilliam Farm CR and Whitney Conservation Area CR
Upton and Grafton
Together, Sweetwilliam Farm and the Town of Upton’s Whitney Conservation Area include part of a farm that dates back to the mid-18th century. The farm was once owned by the grandfather, uncle, and cousin of Eli Whitney, inventor of the cotton gin and native of nearby Westborough.
SVT holds conservation restrictions (CRs) on Sweetwilliam Farm and on a portion of the town-owned property as well.
Please note: Sweetwilliam Farm is a privately owned working farm and is not open to the public in its entirety. Please follow the signs and stay on the trail.
- The trail here creates a link between Upton State Forest to the east and Town of Upton lands to the west, providing opportunities for a full day of hiking and exploration. Upton State Forest also links to SVT’s Whitehall Woods in Hopkinton and beyond to Whitehall State Park.
- The eastern parcel of these combined properties is fairly level, but the western parcel rises steeply toward Warren Brook Conservation Area and an unnamed hill that is the second highest point in Upton. Large rocky outcrops include one of quartzite, unusual in this area.
- Stone walls snaking through these properties mark many of the boundaries and provide evidence of the earlier agricultural use.
- The area’s scenic and historic landscape is primarily evidenced by the striking views from North Street. The view to the west looks over an open pasture and farm pond to the rising forested ridge. To the east are hayfields and a stone wall lined cart path.
- Warren Brook and several of its tributaries flow through these two properties.
With mapping software, search for this address: 145 North Street, Upton, MA
From Route I-495, take Exit 21B. Turn right onto West Main Street toward Upton and proceed for about 3.6 miles. Turn sharp right onto Westboro Road. Go 1.2 miles. Bear left onto North Street. Go 1.4 miles to a small parking area on your right, after house number 143.
Click here to visit Google Maps for specific directions from your home.