Watch Our "Get to Know SVT" Video:
Together with our 2900 members and 200 volunteers, we...
- Conserve and care for over 5000 acres of fields, forests, and farms in the 36 communities surrounding the Sudbury, Assabet, and Concord Rivers.
- Maintain more than 60 miles of hiking trails.
- Help friends and neighbors connect with nature through our events, programs, and outings.
- Assist local organizations in their efforts to protect the region’s most important natural areas.
November 17, 2019 2:00pm to 4:00pm
Cordaville Hall, Southborough
November 20, 2019 7:30pm
Wayland High School, Lecture Hall
November 29, 2019 10:00am to 12:00pm
Mainstone Farm, Wayland
December 20, 2019 7:00am to 8:00am
Half Moon Meadow Brook, Boxborough
Take a Hike
About the Property
Horse Meadows Knoll sits adjacent to the Horse Meadows Reservoir, which is now a beautiful naturalized pond. The property is forested with a mixture of hardwood species, white pine, and hemlock, and it provides habitat for multiple endangered species.
The Harvard Conservation Trust (HCT) and SVT worked together to protect this land. HCT owns the land, and SVT holds a conservation restriction. SVT manages the land and worked with HCT to create hiking trails that offer beautiful views of the reservoir and its associated wetlands.
Features of Note
- This drumlin-shaped knoll rises about 140 feet above the parking area.
- Old cart paths and the driveway to a house that once sat on the knoll contribute to the trail system.
- The rich soils on the lower slope near Sherry Road host some unusual plants for our area, including American basswood. Wild columbine grows on some of the rock ledges.
- The headwaters of Elizabeth Brook, a main tributary of the Assabet River, are partially located on the property
- Beaver are active at the pond and along the stream that meanders through the property.
- Look for their lodge in the center of the pond as you walk along the trail.
- Scarlet tanagers, eastern wood-pewees, and other birds of the deep forest find essential habitat here. Great blue herons nest in the treetops above the pond.
November 8, 2019
Steve Forman photographed northern pintails at Hager Pond in Marlborough.
October 31, 2019
October 30, 2019
Ron McAdow photographed two bucks near his home in Lincoln. He describes watcing how the larger of the two chased the other away.
October 21, 2019
Greg Dysart photographed this barred owl in Natick.
October 11, 2019
Harold McAleer photographed this woodchuck in Lincoln.