Henry's Hill and Wayside Forest, Framingham
Trails on SVT lands are open, but please note the following:
- Dogs must be leashed and picked up after.
- If a trail is marked "closed," Do Not Enter. (Our trails often cross lands owned by others.)
- Please follow all federal and state orders regarding public activities.
- See SVT Trail Policies During the COVID-19 Crisis as well as our standard Trail Policies.
If you encounter a hazard, such as a downed tree that is blocking a trail, please contact us at [email protected] or 978-443-5588.
SVT’s Henry’s Hill Reservation straddles Wayside Inn Road near the Framingham-Sudbury line. To the east, the land is a wooded slope with an intermittent stream. To the west, several acres of open fields are surrounded by a mature forest and a small wetland.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hall of Cambridge enjoyed some 30 years of walking and horseback riding at Henry’s Hill before giving it to SVT in 1983 so that it would be conserved for others to enjoy. The land on the east side of Wayside Inn Road was given by Dr. Robert Gross in 1975 and was later enlarged by the addition of a private conservation restriction (CR).
In June 2018, SVT and the City of Framingham protected the adjacent Wayside Forest, a 52-acre wooded gem.
- The bird boxes in the open meadow are used by tree swallows and eastern bluebirds. Bird boxes like these mimic cavities in dead standing trees, the natural choice for these species.
- The trail on the west side of Wayside Inn Road loops through the woods and over the meadow on Henry’s Hill.
- The trails in Wayside Forest meander around a complex of wetlands (including vernal pools) and take advantage of old forest roads that SVT cleaned up after purchasing the property.
- The Bay Circuit Trail (BCT) connects these properties to Callahan State Park and other conserved lands in the area.
With mapping software, search for this address: 14 Wayside Inn Road, Framingham, MA
From the intersection of Edgell Road, Edmands Road, and Water Street in Framingham, go west on Edmands Road for 1.7 miles. Turn right onto Wayside Inn Road. Go 0.1 mile. The SVT sign for Henry’s Hill is on the left. Park on the left side of the road.