Berlin Meadows and Sawyer Hill Conservation Restrictions, Berlin
March 2020: Trails on SVT lands are currently open, but please note the following:
- Dogs must be leashed.
- If a trail is marked "closed," Do Not Enter. (We may need to close some trails, and our trails often cross lands owned by others.)
- Please follow all federal and state orders regarding public activities.
- See SVT Trail Policies During the COVID-19 Crisis as well as our standard Trail Policies.
Thank you for your cooperation. Through the support of our members, SVT maintains hiking trails for public enjoyment. Not a member? Join today!
Berlin Meadows, owned by the Town of Berlin, is a mix of open field, wet meadow, forested wetland and upland, and dense successional scrub. It provides natural flood control and storm drainage to neighboring communities. The Town donated a conservation restriction on Berlin Meadows to SVT.
Sawyer Hill, which is privately owned land, consists of forested open space and public trails. SVT has held a conservation restriction on this land since 2008.
The two areas are connected via a trail through the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation’s Brewer Brook land.
- Bluebird houses circle the meadow off Pleasant Street, which is frequently visited by turkey, coyotes, deer, and birds of prey.
- Upon entering the Tyler Conservation Area and Brewer Brook from Berlin Meadows, look for a 250-year-old oak tree near the property boundary.
- From Brewer Brook you can proceed to the Sawyer Hill CR, crossing the bridge, or turn right to circle the flood control pond, which is an attraction for migratory birds.
- As you cross the bridge to Sawyer Hill, an impressive group of white pines is just to the north.
- A loop of trail circles the northern and central part of the Sawyer Hill property. Adjacent to a residential development on its southern boundary, the land offers its neighbors a chance to enjoy a quiet walk in the woods.
The conservation restrictions (CRs) ensure that these two properties can never be developed, although activities such as farming or forestry may be permitted. A CR is a legally binding agreement that allows landowners to retain ownership of their property while permanently restricting certain activities on the land. Land protected with a CR may be bought and sold, but the provisions of the CR pass to new owners in perpetuity.
With mapping software, search for this address:
1-3 Pleasant Street Berlin, MA
From Route 495 in Berlin, take Exit 26 (Route 62). Go west on Route 62 toward Berlin for 1.7 miles. Turn left onto Pleasant Street. Parking is on the immediate left. Trail access is 200 feet further down Pleasant Street on the left.