Beals Preserve CR, Southborough
- Dogs must be leashed and picked up after.
- If a trail is marked "closed," Do Not Enter. (Our trails often cross lands owned by others.)
- Please follow all federal and state orders regarding public activities and masks.
If you encounter a hazard, such as a downed tree that is blocking a trail, please contact us at [email protected] or 978-443-5588.
Much of the conserved land in this area is a result of the Beals family purchasing property in the 1960s to protect it from development. The family permanently protected part of the land by donating the 3.4-acre Triangle Meadow and a 48-acre conservation restriction (CR), both to SVT.
In 2006, the residents of Southborough voted to purchase a CR on 130 acres of the Beals' family's Chestnut Hill Farm. The funds needed to purchase this community treasure were raised through a grant from the state and through private fundraising by SVT and Southborough Open Land Foundation (SOLF). Ownership of the land has since been transferred to The Trustees of Reservations.
The family also donated the 50-acre Beals Preserve to SOLF, with a CR held by SVT.
Please note: These lands are still working farms. Please stay on marked trails and stay away from any livestock or farm equipment. Please do not enter areas marked as private.
- Trails at the Beals Preserve pass through meadows and woodlands, alongside a pond, and over the Wachusett Aqueduct. This portion of the aqueduct, which runs to the Sudbury Reservoir, has been out of service since 2005.
- Trails at the nearby Chestnut Hill Farm lead visitors past fields and pastures, into upland forests, and along wetlands.
- The state’s Biodiversity Day was held here in June 2005, and volunteers recorded an amazing total of 425 species.
- During the tally, 123 species of wildflowers, 73 of trees and shrubs, and 47 of birds, some especially attracted to the open grasslands, were counted.
With mapping software, search for this address: 9–99 Chestnut Hill Road, Southborough, MA.
For directions from any starting point, visit Google Maps.
From Route I-495, take Exit 23A to Route 9 east toward Framingham. Go approximately 2.0 miles. Turn left onto Route 85 north toward Southborough. Go 1.2 miles. Turn left onto Route 30 west toward Westborough. Go 1.2 miles. Turn right onto Chestnut Hill Road. Go 0.2 mile. Turn right into the parking lot.