The Council is concerned about the detrimental impacts on habitat by deer over-browsing and the spread of Lyme disease. We hosted two public forums and several towns have been moving forward with instituting regulated hunting on selected conservation lands.
Examples of management in the region
- The Town of Boxborough worked to lessen the severity of its no firearms by-law and was successful in doing away with the by-law altogether. Since then the town has seen a significant decrease in mating doe to deer populations.
- The Town of Weston has created a "Deer Management Toolkit".
- Towns & Cities with deer hunting programs: Berlin, Boxborough, Carlisle, Dover, Sudbury, Framingham, Harvard (proposed but not yet scheduled), Sherborn, Westborough, Weston
- Hunting is also legal on private property, where allowed, as well as MassWildlife, National Wildlife Refuges and some Department of Conservation and Recreation lands.
- Cornell University offers decision support for communities managing deer. Community Deer Advisor.
- A Proposal for Management of the White-tailed Deer Population in East Hampton Town (10/18/12)
- Lyme Disease in Massachusetts – A Public Health Crisis
Quabbin Reservoir Research
- The Quabbin Reservation White-tailed Deer Impact Management Plan: A Case History
- Experimental Exclosures and the Regeneration of Forest Vegetation in Response to Moose and Deer Browsing, Winter 2009 Progress Report
- Deer Facts in Weston (11/11)
- Deer online survey Summary Write-Up (2/12)
- Con Com Deer in Weston report May 2012
- FAQ - Weston deer hunting
- Board of Selectmen Memo Re: Proposed Deer Management Program 7/12)
- Deer in Weston presentation – How to Launch a Deer Management Program
- 2012 Deer management program summary
- 2012 Bow Hunting Regulations
Deer Overabundance, compiled by Thomas J. Rawinski, USDA Forest Service, Durham, NH (March, 2013)
- What Do We Do with Too Many White-tailed Deer?
- Managing Urban Deer in Connecticut
- Newtown Tick-borne Disease Action Committee Final Report
- Deer and Forests, and the People Who Love Them
- Luncheon Special: Lady’s-slipper Salad – Fawns Eat Free!
- Fairfield County Municipal Deer Management Alliance
- Connecticut Coalition to Eradicate Lyme Disease
- Management Plan for White-tailed Deer in New York State 2011-2015
- Emerging Issues in White-tailed Deer Management and Conservation
- Community-based Deer Management: A Practitioners’ Guide
- Healthy Forests – Healthy Deer
- Managing White-tailed Deer in Forest Habitat from an Ecosystem Perspective: Pennsylvania Case Study
- Too Many Whitetails?
- Are Rednecks the Unsung Heroes of Ecosystem Management?