Nobscot Scout Reservation Conservation Restriction, Sudbury
In 1996, the Knox Trail Council of the Boy Scouts of America was created as a result of consolidation of two local councils: Norumbega and Algonquin. The Knox Trail Council, led by a volunteer board of prominent community leaders, now administers the Scout program in the 21-town Greater Metrowest region and owns two large camping properties devoted towards the outdoor education of students as well as religious and community youth groups. Located in Bolton around Little Pond, the E. Paul Robsham Jr. Scout Reservation contains over 325 acres of land for hiking, fishing, and other recreational activities. The second location, the Nobscot Scout Reservation, is a 452 acre property in Framingham and Sudbury.
The Norumbega Council began acquiring portions of the land in 1928, piecing together the ownership shown on the map today. While the Scouts own the entire property, the Town of Sudbury and the Sudbury Valley Trustees made a critical step towards preserving the land for continuing youth education by purchasing a 303 acre Conservation Restriction (CR) on much of the Sudbury portion of the land. The completion of the CR was crucial in slowing the relentless wave of development that is currently changing the character and land use of the Metrowest region. By acquiring the development rights from the Scouts, not only did the town and SVT support the youth organization, but they also permanently protected a large expanse of valuable habitat in a highly developed area. The Framingham portion of the land is still considered unprotected.
From Route 20 in Sudbury, turn south onto Nobscot Road. Follow Nobscot Road for 1.1 miles. The entrance and parking area will be on your right.