Wildlife at the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge
May 12, 2012
Craig Smith photographed the following at the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge in Maynard and Stow: Baltimore oriole, belted kingfisher, Canada geese, eastern kingbird, great blue heron, muskrat, northern harrier, red-bellied woodpecker, solitary sandpiper, tree swallow, turkey.
Mute Swan and Canada Goose in Wayland
May 10, 2012
Gerry White photographed this male mute swan defending its cygnets by chasing away a Canada goose near Pelham Island Rd in Wayland. He also photographed a great blue heron.
Hooded Mergansers in Framingham
February 8, 2012
Dawn Puliafico photographed hooded mergansers and a Canada goose at Farm Pond in Framingham.
Birds around Crane Swamp
November 26, 2011
Gregory Billingham submitted this list of birds he saw during a hike around Crane Swamp in Northborough and Westborough, including SVT's Cedar Hill Reservation and Sawink Farm Reservation.
- Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 6
- Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 1
- Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
- Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 6
- Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus) 2
- American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 3
- Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 27
- Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 21
- White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 8
- Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 1
- Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 4
- Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis) 9 2 seen at Sawink; 7 near the top of Cedar Hill that has bluebird houses in the vicinity.
- Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) 1
- American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 12
- Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 1
- Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
- Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 26
- Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 3
- Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 11
- Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 4
- American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 22
Autumn at Great Meadows in Concord
November 9, 2011
Joan Chasan took several photos at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Concord, including an American coot and a flock of Canada geese.
Wildlife at Great Meadows in Concord
September 26, 2011
Craig Smith photographed the following during a visit to the Great Meadows National Wildlife Impoundment in Concord: American lady butterfly, Canada goose, clouded sulphur butterfly, double-crested cormorant, leopard frog, painted turtles, pearl crescent butterfly, ruby meadowhawk dragonfly, and a savannah sparrow.
Nature at Great Meadows in Concord
July 24, 2011
Joan Chasan photographed American lotus, buttonbush, a Canada goose, an eastern kingbird, a snapping turtle and a female wood duck at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Concord.
Wildlife at SVT's Herene Reservation
May 16, 2011
Dan Foster used his remote wildife camera to photograph several species at SVT's Herene Reservation in Stow; here are Dan's comments:
"I set my remote camera up along the bank of the stream flowing through the Herene Reservation in Stow. The beavers have partially dammed the stream just downstream, and I found a break in the vegetation on the shore that I suspected would be used by a number of animals to get in and out of the water.
Over the course of the month that the camera was deployed, the resident beaver stopped by to work on a nearby scent mound. A pair of Canada geese brought their goslings ashore to rest. A great blue heron fished along the bank. A young buck in velvet waded out into the stream and browsed on the rapidly-growing vegetation along the wetland edge. And most exciting to me, a bobcat passed through the property on May 10th. This is the first bobcat I've captured on my remote cameras, and only the second sighting of a bobcat I know about in Stow. (The first was Russ Place's bobcat photo submitted to SVT's Nature Sightings a few months ago.)
I hope we'll be seeing bobcats on a more frequent basis inside 495, and I'm thrilled that SVT is protecting land that they need to survive."
Wildlife at Great Meadows in Concord
June 27, 2011
Craig Smith photographed an American bullfrog, Canada geese, a great blue heron, a marsh wren, a muskrat and a red-winged blackbird at the Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Concord.
Wildlife at Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge in Maynard and Sudbury
June 4, 2011
Craig Smith photographed the following during a trip to the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge in Maynard and Sudbury: beaver, Canada goose goslings, common grackle, eastern phoebe, and painted turtle.