Birds in Sudbury
May 26, 2012
Joan Chasan photographed a pair of wood ducks and a black-capped chickadee off Water Row in Sudbury.
Wildlife at Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge
April 3, 2012
Craig Smith photographed the following wildlife during a visit to the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge in Maynard and Sudbury: American robin, black-capped chickadee, eastern bluebird, eastern phoebe, great blue heron, muskrat, red-tailed hawk, tree swallow and turkey vulture.
Sounds of the Desert Natural Area in Marlborough
June 4, 2011
Chris Renna recorded the sounds of the Desert Natural Area in Marlborough.
Birds around Crane Swamp
November 26, 2011
Gregory Billingham submitted this list of birds he saw during a hike around Crane Swamp in Northborough and Westborough, including SVT's Cedar Hill Reservation and Sawink Farm Reservation.
- Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 6
- Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 1
- Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
- Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 6
- Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus) 2
- American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 3
- Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 27
- Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 21
- White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 8
- Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 1
- Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 4
- Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis) 9 2 seen at Sawink; 7 near the top of Cedar Hill that has bluebird houses in the vicinity.
- Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) 1
- American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 12
- Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 1
- Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
- Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 26
- Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 3
- Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 11
- Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 4
- American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 22
Wildlife at Heard Farm in Wayland
June 19, 2011
Craig Smith photographed the following at Heard Farm in Wayland: Baltimore oriole, black-capped chickadee, bobolink, cotton-tailed rabbits, downy woodpecker, great blue heron, northern cardinal, tree swallow.
Chickadee Nest in Lincoln
May 13, 2011
This black-capped chickadee nest, with eggs, was photographed inside a nest box in Ron McAdow's yard in Lincoln.
Leucistic Black-capped chickadee in Medway
February 14, 2011
Paul Atwood photographed this leucistic black-capped chickadee in Medway. The bird has more white feathers than is typical in most of our black-capped chickadees. Learn a bit more about geneitc variations in color at Project Feeder Watch's web site. Coincidentally, we've also received photos of an albino squirrel this morning, as well as a melanistic squirrel.
Wildlife at SVT's Memorial Forest
June 4, 2010
Craig Smith photographed the the following species during a visit to SVT's General Federation of Women's Clubs of Massachusetts Memorial Forest in Sudbury: American bullfrog, American toad, black-capped chickadee, common whitetail dragonfly, common yellowthroat, ebony jewelwing, river jewelwing, and white-breasted nuthatch.
Birds at Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge in Maynard
April 19, 2010
Craig Smith photographed a black-capped chickadee, a common grackle, a pair of mourning doves and a tree swallow at the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge in Maynard.
Backyard Birds in Sudbury
March 27, 2010
Lydia Pastuszek photographed a black-capped chickadee, downy woodpeckers and a northern cardinal at her bird feeder in Sudbury.