Boroughs Loop Trail to Open on October 5
Everyone is invited to a Guided Hike Kickoff Celebration for the new, 33-mile Boroughs Loop Trail, which links trail networks in Marlborough, Northborough, Westborough, and Southborough. Trail volunteers will lead family-friendly hikes during the event:
Saturday, October 5
Algonquin Regional High School
79 Bartlett Street, Northborough
Meet at the trailhead located in the Upper Parking Lot
The BLT links wooded walking trails, bike paths, aqueduct trails, and sidewalks. Hikers, walkers, and runners are welcome on all parts of the trail. Some sections will allow mountain biking and dog walking.
The BLT will provide area residents with an outstanding opportunity to get outside and explore the special places in the four communities. Highlights include:
- The Felton Conservation Land on the Marlborough-Northborough line, which has lovely woodlands and large open grasslands that are ideal for bird watching.
- The Assabet River Rail Trail that runs from Marlborough to Hudson and provides opportunities to rent a bike or stop for a cup of coffee.
- Views of the beautiful Chestnut Hill Farm in Southborough, a 170-acre active farm owned by the Trustees of Reservations.
- The Charm Bracelet, which is a 60+ mile network of trails with a 28-mile loop that connects most of the open space in Westborough.
- The great Crane Swamp, a 2,225-acre conservation area that spans all four communities and includes Cedar Hill in Northborough, a property with unusual shrub habitat that supports birds such as the blue-winged warbler and eastern towhee.
SVT assisted the four municipalities in developing maps for the BLT, and we also assisted with trail design and signage.