Protecting Water Resources, Creating Conservation Corridors
SVT is working with partners in Upton to conserve 94 acres of forested land on the Upton-Grafton town line. The property is part of a mosaic of open space and wildlife habitat and has long been a priority for protection.
At a Glance
- Located along Mechanic Street and Fowler Street, the property includes a beautiful vernal pool and intermittent streams.
- The land sits in close proximity to several other conserved lands that together create an important wildlife corridor.
- The Town of Upton has the right of first refusal to purchase this land from Mechanic Street Realty Trust, but it must act by mid-June 2022.
- If the Town does not purchase the land, a developer stands ready to buy it and build an apartment complex with a minimum of 200 units.
- Good News: During Town Meeting on May 5, 2022, Upton voters authorized the purchase.
Funding for the Town's purchase is expected to come from a combination of sources, including Community Preservation Act (CPA) funds, state grants, and private fundraising.
SVT assisted a local community group, Upton's Future, with its goal of raising $200,000 for the project, and in July 2022, they met their goal! If the conservation effort succeeds, SVT will hold a conservation restriction (CR) over the property to ensure its ecological properties remain protected forever.