Join Our Weed Warrior Volunteer Program!
SVT Weed Warriors are volunteers who work independently on SVT properties to manually remove invasive plants. This is a great opportunity for volunteers with an aptitude for plant identification and a willingness to work independently and on your own schedule.
All Weed Warriors must
- Attend an SVT training session on invasive plant identification (including common look-a-likes) and on when to use specific removal treatments.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify the target invasive plants and an understanding of the desired removal techniques.
- Receive certification from SVT to remove invasive plants from our properties.
Once certified, Weed Warriors can go out on their own time to any of the designated locations to manage the invasive plants present. Certified Weed Warriors are allowed to supervise their family unit or a friend (social distanced of course) to assist tackling the invasive plants.
Weed Warriors are expected to visit properties at least 2 times per month during the growing season (April to mid-October) with each visit being a minimum of 30 minutes. Warriors can choose a single property to focus on or go to several throughout the season.
We will be starting with locations at
- Forty Caves, Berlin
- Gowings Swamp, Concord
- Cowassock Woods, Framingham
- Smith Conservation Area, Littleton
- Memorial Forest, Sudbury
Anyone interested should have basic experience with plant identification and be comfortable working in the woods without SVT staff present.
The plants we will focus on are Massachusetts’ worst offenders: Japanese barberry, multiflora rose, oriental bittersweet, glossy/common buckthorn, honeysuckle, winged euonymous, and garlic mustard.
o learn more about the invasive species that are our highest priorities for removal, watch a series of SVT videos that explain how to identify them. All six videos are also available below. Click the down arrow on the left side of the screen for a complete list.