Earth Day 2021: Volunteer Projects
volunteer work days and training sessions
To celebrate and care for nature, SVT has planned several Volunteer Work Days and Volunteer Trainings for the month of April. Follow the links below to learn more and sign up.
New SVT volunteers (including those who have started within the last year): Please attend our SVT Volunteer Orientation on April 13 (scroll down for details).
Plus, we've also gathered information about Community Clean-Up Days for several of the towns and cities in our region.
SVT Volunteer Work Days
Please click the links to learn more and register. Registration is required. Our in-person events are limited to 10 participants due to COVID restrictions.
- Trail Work Party: Smith Conservation Land, Littleton, Monday, April 19, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Garlic Mustard Pull, Cowassock Woods/Ashland Town Forest, Framingham/Ashland, Saturday, April 10, 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Garlic Mustard and Bittercress, Smith Conservation Land, Littleton, Saturday, April 17, 1:30 to 4:00 p.m.
- Garlic Mustard Pull, Cowassock Woods/Ashland Town Forest, Framingham/Ashland, Sunday, April 18, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Glossy Buckthorn, Memorial Forest, Sudbury, Saturday, April 24, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Garlic Mustard Pull, Westborough (co-sponsored with Westborough Conservation Commission and Westborough Community Land Trust), Saturday, April 24, 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
SVT Volunteer Training Sessions
Registration is required. Our in-person events are limited to 10 participants due to COVID restrictions.
SVT Volunteer Orientation, Tuesday, April 13, 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. Zoom Meeting. Register
This online program is for our newer volunteers or those who are considering volunteering with SVT. We will provide a full overview of our organization and discuss our volunteer programming. We will have break-out sessions so you can get to know other volunteers with similar interests.
Bark Ranger Training, Wednesday, April 7, 7:00 p.m. Zoom Meeting. Register
Bark rangers engage visitors on SVT trails to encourage proper dog-walking etiquette. This training is specifically focused on our new dogs-on-leash policy at SVT’s Memorial Forest, Sudbury’s Hop Brook Natural Area, City of Marlborough Desert Natural Area, and DCR’s State Forest. During the April 7 Zoom session, you will learn about the impacts that dogs can have on conservation land and learn how to effectively engage dog walkers. Participants will then schedule small group sessions for the week of April 11 to 16 for further in-person training.
Weed Warrior Training
- Thursday, April 15, 5:30 to 7:00, Wolbach Farm, Sudbury. Register
- Tuesday, April 20, 10:00 a.m. to Noon, Gowing's Swamp, Concord. Register
Through our Weed Warrior program, we train voluteers to recognize and remove invasive plants. Once certified, volunteers can visit our properties independently and in small groups to fight invasives.
SVT is now using the Nature Groupie website to register partcipants for many of our volunteer projects. Nature Groupie is a great resource for finding volunteer opportunities throughout New England.
In addition, we will continue to list all volunteer opportunities and training sessions on the Calendar page of this website.
Community clean-up days
Click the links to learn more from the event sponsors.
- Wayland, April 10
- Framingham, April 17
- Sudbury, April 24
- Boylston, April 24 & 25
- Hudson, April 24 & 25
- Upton, April 24 to May 2
- Harvard, April 25 & May 2