These 21 acres of forested land located along Sargent and Littlefield Roads in Boxborough protect local water resources and serve as a link between nearby conserved lands.
To prevent this important property from being developed into five or more housing lots, the Town of Boxborough set out to purchase it with the assistance of SVT and Boxborough Conservation Trust.
Update January 2023: Success! The Town of Boxborough has acquired this land from SVT, which we had purchased in October to save it from development and give the Town time to raise the necessary funds. Using a combination of Community Preservation Act funds, other Town funds, a LAND (Local Acquisitions for Natural Diversity) grant from the Commonwealth, and more than $200,000 raised by the Boxborough Conservation Trust, the Town purchased the land from us on December 28. SVT will soon hold a conservation restriction on the property to forever protect it as open space. The Town also has plans for trails that will link to an extensive trail network through the surrounding area.
This is a big win for the project partners, area residents, and local wildlife!
At a Glance
- Location: Boxborough, near the Littleton town line
- Size: Approximately 21 acres
- Land Type: Forested upland along one of Boxborough’s scenic roads
- Goal: Town of Boxborough to purchase and SVT to hold the conservation restriction
- Project Partners: Boxborough Conservation Commission, Boxborough Conservation Trust