In a big win for area residents and local wildlife, a collaborative conservation effort prevented these 21 acres along Sargent and Littlefield Roads from being developed into five or more house lots.
This delightful, forested property plays an important role in protecting local water resources, and it also serves as a link between nearby conserved lands.
When the proposed housing development threatened to carve up the property in 2022, SVT, the Town of Boxborough, and Boxborough Conservation Trust worked together to save it, with assistance from the Massachusetts LAND (Local Acquisitions for Natural Diversity) grant program.
The Town now owns the land, and in June 2023, it granted a conservation restriction on the property to SVT to permanently protect the ecological features. The Town also has plans for trails that will link to an extensive trail network through the surrounding area.
Thank you to everyone who supported this conservation effort.
At a Glance
- Location: Boxborough, near the Littleton town line
- Size: Approximately 21 acres
- Land Type: Forested upland along one of Boxborough’s scenic roads
- Goal: Town of Boxborough to purchase and SVT to hold the conservation restriction
- Project Partners: Town of Boxborough, Boxborough Conservation Trust, SVT