Be Part of a BioBlitz!
On Saturday, June 22, all Discovery Day participants (see bottom of page) as well as experienced naturalists are invited to join us for a BioBlitz. During the BioBlitz, these volunteers will scour a specific property in Littleton or Harvard and document the wildlife species they encounter.
- The BioBlitz has a flexible start time. Volunteers will check in at a central site between 7:00 and 10:00 am on June 22 to receive a species assignment and a property map.
- Volunteers will independently visit a property to catalog its wildlife. There are no program leaders or guides. (Volunteers who want to work together are invited to do so.)
- Volunteers will use either an online app or pen and paper to record their observations.
- A celebratory lunch will be provided at 12:00 noon.
Unless you are an experienced naturalist, you must have participated in a Discovery Day in order to learn the skills necessary to catalog wildlife during the BioBlitz. Those without the necessary naturalist skills can volunteer to help in other ways.
More details are available on our Volunteer Information Sheet.
Registration is required so we can plan the work assignments. Sign up to volunteer at the BioBlitz.
For more information, contact Sara Amish at [email protected] or 978-443-5588 x138.
Our Spring 2019 "Discovery Days" provided a chance for amateur naturalists to explore the biodiversity of new conservation lands in Littleton and Harvard and learn what makes these lands so special.
Each day featured a different group of species or habitat type: "birds," "plants and pollinators," and "aquatic organisms, invertebrates, and herpetology."
During these 3-hour sessions, experts led activities to help the participants:
- identify wildlife,
- understand the importance of ecosystem interactions, and
- learn about the resources available to naturalists.
We encouraged participants to generate a list of the species they saw and to use online apps to record their observations. All skill levels were welcome.
- BioBlitz Discovery Day: Birds, Saturday, May 4, 2019
- BioBlitz Discovery Day: Plants and Pollinators, Saturday, May 18, 2019
- BioBlitz Discovery Day: Herps and Aquatics, Saturday, June 1, 2019